Sunday 12 October 2014

Pretty Instinct by S.E. Hall


Without meaning to, this novel clarified for me why Hollywood marriages rarely last long. Tight quarters; uninterrupted time spent exclusively and in secluded spaces for work will make strangers think they know each other for years. Enough to get the three letter phrase and walk down the aisle.

If you follow my reviews you know I am not a fan of insta love stories, especially ones of this caliber. Still, I enjoyed the story for the most part. Liz's humour and Connor's lack of a filter and love of fish, yes, I am weird like that, my favourite pet are fish, made it easier to relax and get to know the other characters.

Contrary to what you might expect, the music brings them together but that's where it ends. This story focuses more on the insta love story line and Liz's past than it does C.U.N.T (name of the band) and their musical journey. I think they should get the award for "Most pointless tour in history". So if your looking for a full on rockstar romance, then this can only fill half of that need, but it does have a good playlist :)

Liz is spunky and does a great job of narrating the majority of this story. She is fierce, fiery and did I mention funny? "You don't eat my pussy or pay my bills so you don't get a say" will remain my favourite line in a novel until it gets a worthy successor. Meeting Cannon made her a cheesy romantic but occasionally, the Liz I love broke through.

Cannon, with the exception of his name, is too good to be true. He is the epitome of price charming so I never really got into his character. I like my guys with a little edge! He had his moments in the bedroom but outside he was too much of a pacifist. I'm sorry, but no new girlfriend should have to face off with an ex-fiance while the guy sits in the car. It's not cute, it's cowardly!

As story line goes, this one had too much, but only one interested me and when I finally got the answers, I was sorely disappointed. Vaughn sums it up best with his appearance. This story was longer than it needed to be, especially with the fact that the interesting things didn't happen until the end and by then, we were staring at the chapter long acknowledgement. Hope she got everybody o.O

Vaughn I believe, is the one character that got the summary of this story right, to the point where I would read a novel about the little sociopath. Yeah, I apparently like 'em dark ;)

If not for a select few characters, prolly three, I would probably not like this story at all. I actually thought about discontinuing at 10% but I stuck through it! This was too much teenage angst, for the age group, mixed with a fairy tale romance. I kept waiting for Taylor Swift to burst out in song!

It wasn't perfect, realistic or relateable but it was good enough for me to get to the end and when it was good, it was great! I am actually curious as to who is next in the series cause it surely can't be Cannon and Elizabeth and no one else is as interesting so that's saying something o.O

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22094096-pretty-instinct

No comments:

Post a Comment