Wednesday 13 November 2013

White Trash Beautiful By Teresa Mummert


Another used but great idea with it's own stamp.

I liked this story, and with better direction, I could have loved it. It's not the most intricate or intriguing of plots, but its a good story. I liked the beginning and the whole trailer park scene and life. It was done well and was believable until the changes came in effect.

I don't hate Tucker or Cass, but their relationship is a shaky in my book. It's not the first I have read a novel about cheating, but I kind of had a problem with this one. Even with Cass less than stellar relationship issues. I feel as if Jax wasn't given a chance. Yes, he is a tool with issues galore, but his back story is more than we got on Tucker and I feel as if he could have gotten help or even redemption instead of the route taken. Not that I am saying that she should stay with him or anything, but druggies need love and support too. Even more than anyone.

I'm not even going to get going about her mother. Other than Cass and occasionally Jax, personalities weren't given the light that they needed. Still, as much as I didn't get to connect with Cass's mother as I would have liked, she was actually making a change, so her fate was also unwarranted. It's like the author tried to purge everything deemed "trailer park trash".

I believe history is important in every story, and as such, Tucker needs some. Nothing is wrong with perfect, but give the guy a little grime! I thought i'd love his character, like how I liked his shirts in the opening. It was a personality trait and his own Tucker stamp, but that was short lived to two shirts and then he was like an illusion. If not for her little trinkets, I'd think he was a dream.

Issues weren't really solved, they were just eliminated. Some depth and a steady focus would be nice.There is so much potential within this story, but it was all over the place and no where at the same time. Circumstances made it hard to be true to a cause.

Our times at Aggie's were great, because I love Larry and some of the most important turns and conversations seem to take place at a table or booth there. Her rendezvous's also added an edge. The uncertainty and anticipation had me wondering if she would get caught. Her longest outing had me skipping ahead trying to see the outcome of her little fairy tale.

So you can imagine my disappointment when it all came full circle. Cliches are bad enough, and Cass and Tucker had them ten fold. But unimaginative confrontations hurt even more. This could have been a gritty, provocative rock and roll novel, but it just felt soft. It didn't push the boundaries, it just tried to find a way to barely scale the fence.

There are a lot of unbelievable (not in the good way) moments in this story, and maybe if it got some more length, it could have gotten into that role it needed to be great. I notice a pattern with Teresa Mummert where she has brilliant ideas; great and steady beginnings and even middles, but when it's time for confrontation and to take the novel up a notch, she holds back and skims through.

Filled with direction and potential, this story fell to naivety; unrealistic and unimaginative notions. I will still read the follow up book, but you could stop here for a while if you choose. I'd have never thought of this being a trilogy with how this story ended. If anything it has going for it, there's no cliffhanger :)

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16146226-white-trash-beautiful 

No comments:

Post a Comment