Friday 9 August 2013

Collide By Gail McHugh

Thank God for the last 5% of this book, because if not for that redeeming 5% I wouldn't be knocking off this review to get on to book 2.

I have to start by saying this story was too long, and as such, carried a lot of unnecessary scenes and conversations. A whole 1/4 of this book could have been eliminated and still have a story good enough to print. The sex scenes weren't really passionate or heated as I would suspect when a chick is banging more than one guy, I even fell asleep during one session.

The thing with this story, is that I don't really hate any of them, or at least not yet. Even as they go about making really wrong decisions. Honestly, no one is allowed to judge in this novel. I understand everyone's dilemma and honestly wish that things could be different. I get Emily's loyalty to Dillon and love for Gavin. I even understand Dillon's need for Emily, despite his lies. I won't saying cheating, because we are still not certain as to what his secrets are and we have yet to ever catch him cheating. I also understand Gavin's struggles and how he seems to be the one keep on getting the bad end of the stick, and I am pretty sure there is more to come.

While it took me a while to get into this book, I eventually warmed up to the characters and their everyday life and struggles. It was also nice to finally have a lesbian best friend as oppose to the usual male gay friend ... little changes are noted :)

Dillon has his douche tendencies, but he is also a victim to Emily and Gavin's love. He has a secret and I am pretty sure he overreacts to everything Emily and would eventually beat Emily if the chance arrived. But I still don't hate the guy. (Kind of hard to explain really). He has a lot of redeeming qualities, and if Kyle Sterling from 'Worthy of Redemption' by L.D. Davis can get it, then so can Dillon Parker. I just hope he doesn't kill himself before he gets the chance.

I might not like how he did a full 360 to the NY monster that he became, but he is still the man who held her mom's hair while she was sick, and for that, the man deserves a reprieve. Honestly, I don't know what in the NY air that turn him into the drunken mess he always become.

Gavin, Gavin, Gavin ... who wouldn't love Gavin. The man seems to fight harder than anyone in this novel for what he wants, and it's both in business and his personal life. He deserves a break and I am terrified of what to expect for him in book 2.

Emily is really between a rock and a hard place and this is what real love triangles are made from, or at least that's what I believe. She is torn between a man that she loved who was good to her at one point in her life, and a guy who she has fallen in love with and can't seem to function without.

Still, both of them get her and both of them have an undying love for her, one of them just seem to be more mentally unbalanced than the next. This is really a hard decision, regardless of how easy a choice was made in this novel. While I have no problem with the choice, I respect the story line and the development of a really tough and tentative decision that this novel created.

With a great group of secondary characters, a believable story line with everyday problems and decisions, I hit it off with this novel, even if it was in the literal final stages, and I can't wait to see what book 2 brings and how they will sort out this inevitable mess that is upon them all.

Great characters, nice story line, decent progression and an ending that leave you wanting more. I could ask for better conversations, more passion both in and out of the bedroom and a shorter more necessary novel. Still, I can't wait to get into book 2 to see what will happen next ... teetering on the edge here!

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17158596-collide

No comments:

Post a Comment