Tuesday 24 September 2013

Killing Sarai By J.A. Redmerski


So ... I honestly don't mind a good assassin novel or the trained deadly female kind. More power to women and all, but while this novel was written well, with few grammatical errors, a passable technique and the basics present, it just fell off half way through for me, and never really got back up to the promising start.

It was all too easy and carefully planned. Truth be told, I think a change in blurb is necessary, as there was no danger lurking around the corner as suggested. While I awaited the climax, major face-off scenes and horrendous acts of betrayal, I got half of that.

I still don't know where the climax was, because it seems one story stops and bleed into another. It felt like two different unconnected tales. One story ended in Texas and another began in LA. They were in no way connected. The major face-off, as I am now literally realizing, was short, and obviously unidentifiable. After all, I just figured it out o.O  The betrayal ... not so much a betrayal. Once again, much too tame for the premise of this novel.

I don't hate Sarai's character, but I don't really understand her either. After leaving Texas, I feel like she is lost, and in turn, so are we. I can't put my finger on what will happen to and for her. The obvious plot was not used, but then a substitute was hardly provided. I see promise within her character and I hope she gets an identity within the sequel.

Victor. Another enigma within this novel. I know not of his drive, logic, direction. Not even his loyalty is steadfast. Speaking of, I would have loved to get a glimpse of this employer that worships him so. I liked that this book eventually became a dual POV novel, because I was dying not know what was going though his mind. But then, I expected more from the mind of such an in tune, meticulous and highly recommended killer.

I expected to be in awe of his thinking as he executes a mission. Maybe I had hope for a taste of Evan Arden from the 'Otherwise Alone' and 'Otherwise Occupied' novels. Now that was inside the mind of a killer!

Victor, while starting out admirable for his skills and talents, fell off course after being in his mind for a couple chapters. This is where the double standard has occurred for me. I wanted to know what was going on in his head, when I got it, I was disappointed and would have prefer to not have known how easily he was tricked throughout this novel by the desk bunny.

Irrespective of how my review may come across, I liked this story. Maybe more in the initial stages, but I liked it nonetheless. However, I feel as if it should have ended in Texas and we await the fall out of both their actions within a next novel. Literal action scenes were also lacking and the ones that were described, were lackluster in description. Some, to the point of unbelievable (not in a good way).

Victor's mind, reaction and the perception of others clashed throughout this novel. He was what everyone saw him as, but everyone had a different view. I believe this story lacked a proper direction and execution. The angst was too little for a story of this kind and magnitude. Much was left to be desired but I enjoyed it nonetheless. I would still read book 2, especially to see what becomes of Sarai and to see what her misplaced vengeance shall achieve.

Sometimes, I wished Victor had put a bullet in her head, but maybe her anger management issues will make way for a great sequel. Can't wait to see what's on the horizon for them both.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18400085-killing-sarai

No comments:

Post a Comment